Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cake Smash

One of the most adorable photo shoots I have seen is the "cake smash." TOOO... CUTE!  

I had my first one with this DELIGHTFUL little one year old.  Miss Rylee was so much fun and we all enjoyed watching her demolish her cake. The cake was made with the Wilton giant cupcake mold. More on that later. ..

I hope you enjoy these delightful pictures as much as I do!

THE SCENE OF THE SMASH

This cake is almost too pretty to let a one year old demolish it...
 NO turning back now!!!


 She didn't waste a minute once we put the giant cupcake in front of her. She was so dainty and it had 100% of her attention. Not an easy task when you are talking about an active toddler. LOL


 Isn't she adorable. I could see these as birthday invites or on a calendar. 


 I think Rylee enjoyed her cake! I know we enjoyed watching her. :) Even my boys
snuck in to watch the action. My oldest son loves babies and didn't want to miss it.



THE AFTERMATH... Even the mess made a great picture!  Not very fun cleaning up
 but totally worth it in my opinion. I would definitely do it again. :)



I think these would be perfect for a story board.



Here is the Wilton cake mold. You will need two boxes of cake mix. I used strawberry so it would be pink and 4 eggs instead of 6 so it would be more dense and easier to work with. They actually suggest a pound cake recipe but this worked out great. 2 1/2 cups in the top and 3 1/2 cups for the base. I baked it at 325 degrees for one hour. I used Wilton's cake release and it came out of the pan with no problem. Just turn it over on a cooling rack after 15 minutes and let sit for another 15 minutes. You will need to trim both pieces to make them flat. Easier to do if you place it back in the pan. I actually placed it in the freezer for a short time just to make it easier to cut. Add frosting to "glue" the two pieces together and your ready to decorate.


I had a lot of inquiries as to how I made the rosettes. They look really hard but they are SO easy! I used the  giant #1M tip for the rosettes.

1 1/2 c. crisco shortening
2 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 c milk or water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract




 I made one large rose in the middle and then added various sizes working my way around the cake. Start in the middle of the rose, working out, and make a continuous circle until you reach the size you desire. 


I filled in any spaces with frosting and VOILA. I used to practice on a cookie sheet when I was first learning. I could just scraped it off and put it back in the bag to use again and again.


Buttercream Frosting recipe

Directions:


  1. 1
    Cream butter and shortening, and add vanilla.
  2. 2
    Gradually add powdered sugar.
  3. 3
    Add milk by the TBSP until icing is desired consistency.
  4. 4
    Color with food coloring, or icing dye.


Adding a few more of my favorites because I couldn't resist. What can 
I say, they just bring a SMILE to my face every time I look at them...








I read a post on someone's site that said "these shoots look staged and contrived".

contrived : con·trived (k n-tr vd ). adj. Obviously planned or calculated; not spontaneous or natural; labored: ...

This is what I have to say about that... Although we were looking for some great shots of a one year old destroying her first birthday cake, this is more "real life" than any shoot I have ever done. Yes, I set the stage but you CAN'T make a toddler do what she doesn't want too! LOL For example - I wanted Rylee to wear pearls for the shoot but she would have nothing to do with them, until she decided to play with them at the end. Cried every time we tried to put them on her. hehe  Luckily she LOVED the cake and the shoot went off perfectly. You better be ready though because there are no re-do's, and once she started it went really FAST. Luckily my daughter reminded me to take a picture of the cake before, because I was so excited to take the pictures of the little princess, that I would have forgotten. Thank you Kaylyn!!!!
Too bad I didn't get shots of all the spectators because we all enjoyed it as much as Rylee did. Maybe even more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment